Neurochemical characteristics of paracervical ganglion in the pig
P. Podlasz, K. Wasowiczhttps://doi.org/10.17221/1940-VETMEDCitation:Podlasz P., Wasowicz K. (2008): Neurochemical characteristics of paracervical ganglion in the pig. Veterinarni Medicina, 53: 135-146.
A study on the presence of the selected biologically active substances in nerve structures of the paracervical ganglion in the pig was performed with the use of immunofluorescence and RT-PCR. Immunohistochemical methods revealed that 23% of paracervical ganglion (PCG) neurons contain both tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) and dopamine β-hydroxylase (DβH) and that the remaining 77% contain choline acetyltransferase (ChAT) and vesicular acetylcholine transporter (VAChT). 73% of TH/DβH neurons contained neuropeptide Y (NPY) and 8% contained somatostatin (Som). All ChAT/VAChT positive neurons contained vasoactive intestinal polypeptide (VIP), 87% of them contained Som, 76% contained NPY and 32% contained neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS). Galanin (Gal) was found only in small cells, which were thought to be SIF cells. No pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating polypeptide (PACAP)- or substance P (SP)-positive neurons were found in PCG. Some areas of PCG contained dense plexuses of ChAT- and VAChT-positive nerve fibres. In the ganglion small number of TH-, nNOS-, NPY-, VIP-, Gal-, PACAP-, Som- and SP-positive nerve fibres was also visible. RT-PCR detected the presence of mRNA for TH, ChAT, nNOS, NPY, VIP, Gal and Som, which were visualised as clearly discernible bands on a gel. In cases of PACAP and SP only weak bands were observed.Keywords:pig; paracervical ganglion; immunohistochemistry; RT-PCR