Massive death of wild boars caused by ethylene glycol: a case report
Z. Siroka, R. Bily, V. Polacek, J. Dvorak, M. Svobodahttps://doi.org/10.17221/7659-VETMEDCitation:Siroka Z., Bily R., Polacek V., Dvorak J., Svoboda M. (2014): Massive death of wild boars caused by ethylene glycol: a case report. Veterinarni Medicina, 59: 388-395.
During April 2012, 34 dead wild boars (Sus scrofa) were found in the Tachov region (Czech Republic) directly in the River Mze or in its close vicinity. After infectious diseases were excluded, poisoning was suspected as the cause of death. The finding of cadavers directly in or close to a river was indicative of poisoning by a substance which causes thirst. Laboratory analysis excluded dietary salt poisoning. Later, the presence of ethylene glycol was proven in the stomach contents of the wild boars using HPLC. The diagnosis was confirmed by the typical autopsy findings on the kidneys. The kidneys were firm and of a pale brown colour with scattered petechiae on the surface and haemorrhagic stripes on the cut. Histopathological examination revealed the presence of oxalate crystals in the tubules and interstitial tissue of the kidneys.Keywords:
poisoning; thirst; sodium chloride; nephrotoxicity; oxalate crystals; kidneys; Sus scrofa